Monday, February 4, 2013

homemade deodorant

Yep. I make my own deodorant and have for quite some time. Around this time last year, I discovered that Youngest gagged on the breast a lot when I was wearing deodorant. So I just stopped wearing it. But when the weather warmed up, well, let's just say I needed to take some action.

I tried some of the 'natural' deodorants from the local health food store but the baby gagged with those. Then I saw something that said coconut oil can be used for deodorant. I tried it but that didn't cut it. So I started googling and eventually came upon a recipe with ingredients I had on hand: 6 parts coconut oil to 1 part baking soda. It was super easy, and it works. It definitely doesn't last 24 hours like commercial deodorants but it's also lacking in nasty chemicals and it does work.

I do find that if I'm a little, shall we say, scented before I put it on, it works best if I wash first. I'm kind of amazed it works. I did find that on the really, really hot summer days, the coconut oil melted in the jar and the baking soda sank to the bottom, so I had to stir it up when the oil solidified again. But other than that, if nothing else came from my 2012 resolution (and lots of things did), the whole year was a win just for discovering this non-toxic and cheap homemade deodorant.

1 comment:

  1. try a few tablespoons of melted beeswax in the mix- it seems to stabilize the whole affair!

    ReplyDelete